Still No Sync Button On iPod Touch

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
stargirld

Still No Sync Button On iPod Touch

Post by stargirld »

I've read through all the forums and the comments on iTunes. I can't get a sync button to appear on my iPod touch. I have the latest version of pocketpedia installed on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and the latest version of DVDpedia on my iMac. I tried installing DVDpedia on my new MacBook Pro as well, but again with no luck. I'm on a wireless network. I tried disabling the firewall. I tried creating a network from the iMac. I tried rebooting everything. Please help. It's a great program, and I'd really like to see my collection on my iPod.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Still No Sync Button On iPod Touch

Post by Conor »

Since you tried without a firewall and with a direct WiFi connection from your computer, try removing Pocketpedia and downloading it again. Don't forget with the direct connection to switch the network in the iPod Touch Settings program.
stargirld

Post by stargirld »

It still didn't work for me. Is there any other way to get my library onto my iPod, since the iPod option in DVDpedia doesn't seem to be compatible with the iPod Touch?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Unfortunately WiFi is the only way to sync, sorry to hear it's not working. The iPod Touch is very closed, we wish that Apple will make it easier to get files on the device, or even offer a sync functionality so that users don't have to go through this process of making sure no firewall or network setting is blocking the connection. Since Apple is always improving the software and it's an often requested feature maybe there will be a standard way of syncing information in upcoming version of iPhone OS. If we are really lucky will get access through the USB cable.

If you have a program that can view PDFs on your iPod you could create PDFs using the Pedia's print function to then transfer to your iPod.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

stargirld wrote:I've read through all the forums and the comments on iTunes. I can't get a sync button to appear on my iPod touch. I have the latest version of pocketpedia installed on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and the latest version of DVDpedia on my iMac. I tried installing DVDpedia on my new MacBook Pro as well, but again with no luck. I'm on a wireless network. I tried disabling the firewall. I tried creating a network from the iMac. I tried rebooting everything. Please help. It's a great program, and I'd really like to see my collection on my iPod.
this may seem like a mundane suggestion, but make sure your iPod is connected to the same Wifi network as the Mac. Mine sometimes chooses a different one. And then verify that it is a stable connection by surfing the web for a while.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Hmm... I seem to be having the same problem here; the sync button no longer appears.

I'm connected to my computer using 'Internet Sharing' as I don't have a wireless modem.

I'm running:
- Leopard 10.5.6
- iMac Intel 2 GHz Core Duo
- iPod Touch 32 GB 1st generation
- iPod 2.2 software

I hope you are able to find a solution for this. Thanks in advance!

Sebastiaan
stargirld

Post by stargirld »

Thanks for your help. I was showing my mom how cool DVDpedia is today (she's buying her fist Mac soon, and I insisted she buy the program). Then I showed her how you can supposedly sync it to your iPod Touch (she has one too), but that it didn't work for me. Lo and behold, as I'm showing her the Sync button popped up! Whoopeeee! :)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

stargirld wrote:I've read through all the forums and the comments on iTunes. I can't get a sync button to appear on my iPod touch. I have the latest version of pocketpedia installed on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and the latest version of DVDpedia on my iMac. I tried installing DVDpedia on my new MacBook Pro as well, but again with no luck. I'm on a wireless network. I tried disabling the firewall. I tried creating a network from the iMac. I tried rebooting everything. Please help. It's a great program, and I'd really like to see my collection on my iPod.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but you do realise that in order to have the sync button showing on the iPhone you need to have DVDpedia *open* on the Mac?

Regards,

Keith
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Oops, forgot to update my status on this issue.

Having removed and reinstalled PocketPedia solved the problem. I was a bit afraid to do so (was afraid to end up with a totally -empty- PocketPedia database).

regards,

Sebastiaan
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for letting us know that you managed to fix it. Should't have been necessary but computers are mysterious at times. Will continue to collect information and test it out in case it's something that needs changing and not just a special case.
stargirld

Post by stargirld »

Now I have a new dilemma, but one without a work around. A couple months ago I invested in a MacBook Pro. I'm using it as my main computer now and have installed DVDpedia on it. I keep the libraries on my old iMac and new MBP in sync by storing the library in my Dropbox folder. I am able to sync Pocketpedia to DVDpedia just fine with my iMac, but it will not recognize my MBP. All computers are on the same wi-fi network. In fact, the MBP is essentially a clone of the iMac since I let that happen during setup.

I'm only mentioning this for the developer's sake, since it might be of interest to them in getting sync to work consistently.

And yes, regarding Keith's wisecrack, I know the app has to be open on the Mac.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Don't forget to try the whole reseting the firewall and making sure it's not in stealth mode. I am looking at way to enhance the initial handshake in the next version in order to try to get around some of the Mac's security settings.