Firewall Problems with DVDPedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
reumut
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Firewall Problems with DVDPedia

Post by reumut »

hi there,
every time i open the new version 4.3.2, I receive the prompt to allow incoming connections. This is despite having added it to the firewall as to always this behavior.
With the preceding versions I had to acknowledge it only once and everything ran well.
I hope you ca help me and solve this problem.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Firewall Problems with DVDPedia

Post by Conor »

You should only need to do this once as you mentioned. Is DVDpedia in your applications folder? Using the program Disk Utility run the "Repair Permissions" on your hard drive. If that doesn't cure it, try a brand new installation of 4.3.2 by downloading it from our web page and replacing the version on your hard drive via drag and drop.

In the future we will start signing our applications so that you will not have to authorize it with each update but only once (also applies for the MobileMe access). However, signing technology is new to Leopard so we want to do some extensive beta testing on it before deploying it.
Ben
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ben »

Hello Conor,

sorry, same problem here ....
I start my Mac, I start DVDpedia and I have to allow incoming connections. After that, everything seems to be okay. I quit DVDpedia and start it again and I don't have to allow it. But as soon as I restart my Mac, and start DVDpedia then, I have to allow incoming connections again.

I already tried to repair the permissions with the Disk Utility and I loaded the new version of DVDpedia like you said in your previous post.
But nothing helped.

Maybe you have another clue ?

Thanks a lot and best wishes

Ben
reumut
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by reumut »

hi connor,
thanks for answering so fast.
but unfortunately my problem did not change by your suggestions. i still have the same problem like ben.
after restarting my mac and starting dvdpedia i have to allow incoming connections again.
i did not have this problem before.
thanks and regards
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I have uploaded a new DVDpedia (the same version) so give the download another try. If the new download is still prompting for authorization with every launch try the following steps in order to clear the authorization and have the computer create a brand new one (found this solution online for the same problem with iTunes).
  • 1) Quit DVDpedia.
    2) Open System Preferences --> Security --> Firewall and remove DVDpedia from the list of allowed apps.
    3) Relaunch DVDpedia and click "Allow".
If it continues to forget the authorization please send me the output from running the following two commands in the program called Terminal:

Code: Select all

codesign -v /Applications/DVDpedia.app
Nothing should appear on screen after running this command, meaning DVDpedia is properly signed (this is after allowing incoming connections). If "/Applications/DVDpedia.app: code object is not signed" appears it means Mac OS X is failing to sign the applications in order to keep track of the permissions. When you trust DVDpedia by allowing connections, Mac OS X implicitly signs DVDpedia. This allows it to monitor any changes to DVDpedia, if something changes then it can ask again if the application is allowed to receive connections. Nothing should change with DVDpedia after it has been installed.

Code: Select all

codesign -d /Applications/DVDpedia.app
The line "Executable=/Applications/DVDpedia.app/Contents/MacOS/DVDpedia" should appear after this command, meaning the executable is the only part of the application that was signed.
Ben
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ben »

Hello Conor,

thanks a lot :D

I removed DVDpedia from the list of allowed apps in my firewall and allowed it again during the next launch.
Now everything works fine.

Best wishes

Ben
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Excellent, good to know that removing the permissions trick worked.
reumut
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by reumut »

hi conor,
the new version and removing dvdpedia from the firewall works for me to.
many thanks and all the best