Encoding problem when importing a text file

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
fetjuel

Encoding problem when importing a text file

Post by fetjuel »

Hi, I'm trying to import a tab-delimited file that I exported from another application (actually a custom system I wrote myself). Everything seems to go well, except that all of my Unicode-encoded values seem to be read using a different encoding, which leads to scrambled text: http://jetfuel.metalbat.com/blah/Scrambled.png

Importing my stuff into Delicious Library 2, then exporting that to DL 1.5, and then importing that into Gamepedia seems to preserve the encoding. But, DL lacks a bunch of the fields I use and doesn't support custom fields, so all of my custom data just gets dumped into the comments: http://jetfuel.metalbat.com/blah/Custom%20Data.png

Is there some way to import my data with the correct encoding, while also having the freedom to assign my custom data to Gamepedia's fields?

Thanks very much; I am really looking forward to getting my collection into Gamepedia. :)
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Encoding problem when importing a text file

Post by Conor »

Pass your file through TextEdit. TextEdit is really smart about unknown encodings, if it looks okay in TextEdit choose the "Save As..." command and then in the save panel set the plain text encoding to "Unicode (UTF-8)" and save with a new name. Import the new file into Gamepedia. Welcome to Gamepedia.
fetjuel

Re: Encoding problem when importing a text file

Post by fetjuel »

Thanks for the quick reply! I opened the file up in TextEdit, but the copy I saved in UTF-8 still got scrambled in Gamepedia.

However! Just for the heck of it I tried saving my TextEdit file with UTF-16 instead of UTF-8, and Gamepedia picked it up just fine! All of my precious data was perfectly imported. :D

Thanks so much.