Half Star Rating

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
rast
Contributor
Contributor

Half Star Rating

Post by rast »

Would it be possible to get the ability to add a half start rating. This would allow a bit more accuracy in the rating system.

This could perhaps be set up as follows. on click = full star, two clicks = half star, three clicks = reset to no star.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. It's a good idea, maybe a bit confusing for new users who would not be expecting that from the mouse clicks. The underlying data storage expects a number from 0 to 5 so it's hard to implement a half star system at the moment. Feel free to use one of the custom fields for a rating system with more range. Some users even use star characters, found in the menu Edit --> Special Characters:

jazzybeat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jazzybeat »

I don't think we meed 1/2 star rating. 5 stars lets keep it simple. Its in iTunes in iPhoto and all around. If it was windows you can ask that type of future :-)
ozmosis82
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Half Star Rating

Post by ozmosis82 »

(Sorry for resurrecting this thread.)

Would it be at all possible for the actual rating field to parse other fields related to ratings? (Like the ratings obtained from Amazon.com users.) I guess this wouldn't really side-step the aforementioned integer requirement.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Half Star Rating

Post by Conor »

We want to keep the distinction clear between the rating that you give an item and the average rating from an online source. This is why we never fill in the my rating information and fill the rating information instead. It's does not contain stars as the number of votes is also important information that we need to fit in that field as well, and we can't convey that via stars (there is a difference between an average 5 star rating from one user, and an average 5 star rating from 100 users).