pocketpedia sync to Dvdpedia.

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ouegamer

pocketpedia sync to Dvdpedia.

Post by ouegamer »

I bought DVDpedia, and bookpedia, but I don't see a sync button on my iphone to sync them up, what do I have to do to get the sync button? Tried leaving dvdpedia running on my mac, and starting pocketpedia.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: pocketpedia sync to Dvdpedia.

Post by teacher24_70 »

Did you already buy the Pocketpedia app in the iTunes App Store?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Make the iPhone is connected to the same wireless network as your Mac (under the Settings application). Unfortunately, as developers we don't have access to the connection made via the USB cable to iTunes. So we have to use the other network device on your iPhone, the wireless card. With version 4.3 of our programs running and both are connected to the same wireless network you should be able to see the "sync" button. If you do not have a wireless connection, you can create a temporary one with your Mac by turning on the Airport and choosing "Create Network" from under the airport menu and then connect your iPhone to that new network.
ouegamer

Post by ouegamer »

I connected them to to a private network created from my mac and the sync button showed up then. (my main router is probably blocking something.) but pressing sync brings up a submenu "Synchronizing..." "Requesting Collections." then cancels out after a couple minutes and disapears.
james123
Inductee
Inductee

Post by james123 »

I'm having the same problem. I see the sync button, but when i press on it,"Synchronizing..." "Requesting Collections." then cancels out after a couple minutes and disappears. I have DVDpedia running on my mac.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

Same problem here, but with BookPedia.
moncef
Contributor
Contributor

Post by moncef »

same problem here with cdpedia. i press sync on iphone, it says "Synchronizing... Retrieving Collections" but no collections ever appear. pressing sync again doesn't help. both iphone and macbook pro are connected to same wireless network at home.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the report we are trying figure out why the connection is not being made for a few. Unfortunately, I don't even know how a user without the iPhone SDK can get information from the iPhone log, so that we can narrow down on the issue.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It seems to be a firewall issue for some, that is blocking the connection. A user reported fixing it by changing his firewall to allow server connections on the LAN. This was not on his Mac but his actual wireless router. I'll post more details as I get them.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

Conor wrote:It seems to be a firewall issue for some, that is blocking the connection. A user reported fixing it by changing his firewall to allow server connections on the LAN. This was not on his Mac but his actual wireless router. I'll post more details as I get them.
Thanks! Until I know exactly what to open up on Smoothwall, I will try the ad-hoc network on my iMac. Would the iMac's firewall be an issue here? I keep it pretty tight, but I will open things up for a test run and see if that changes anything.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

I stopped all firewall services on my iMac, connected the ad-hoc network, and things are working. I'm currently syncing the books and it is requesting images of my book covers from BookPedia.

So it is definitely a firewall issue. Now I just need to know what ports to open up on my iMac so I don't have to stop the firewall every time I want to sync.
jhwalker

Post by jhwalker »

bishop wrote:I stopped all firewall services on my iMac, connected the ad-hoc network, and things are working. I'm currently syncing the books and it is requesting images of my book covers from BookPedia.

So it is definitely a firewall issue. Now I just need to know what ports to open up on my iMac so I don't have to stop the firewall every time I want to sync.
If you take a look at the "Sharing" app in System Preferences (controls the Firewall), go to the Firewall "tab" and clicked "Advanced", there is a button to view the log and you can see the ports used. Not publishing it here because I don't know how "safe" it is ?? but I added a rule to allow that range of ports (TCP and UDP) and it's working now. The 'Pedia folks should be able to tell us what ports need to be opened, shouldn't they?
Surfmonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surfmonkey »

Maybe I'm missing something. Can you not make a new wish list (or other collection) in Pocketpedia on iPhone, fill it with data and then synch the result back to the desktop DVDPedia application? Does the synch only work one way? Also, how exactly do you delete an entry from a collection on the handset? If you can't delete entries and the list won't synch from the handset to the desktop, there's a functional problem. One can never get rid of those entries.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The 'Pedia folks should be able to tell us what ports need to be opened.
We left the program flexible and let your Mac pick the most convenient port to use. In a future version we might make it a static port so that we can share that information for users with firewalls.
synch the result back to the desktop
At the moment the sync is one way. We wanted to keep the program simple at first and add features with each release, due to the lack of a large beta test group on the iPhone.
how exactly do you delete an entry
With one finger swipe across the entry, a delete button will appear to confirm the deletion. This is also true for the created collections.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

With the ad-hoc network connecting my iPod Touch and iMac, the firewall logged the following denied request:

10.0.0.2 (iPod): port 49438
10.0.0.1 (iMac): port 59406

I opened port 59406 on my iMac and all is well. Given what Conor said, that the ports are chosen dynamically, I don't know that this will work for everyone - but checking the firewall log should yield the correct port.