bookpedia and bol.it

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
spike
Contributor
Contributor

bookpedia and bol.it

Post by spike »

Hi all,

I'm a new user of bookpedia and I've a little question: is it possible to search for data about italian books on bol.it instead of ibs.it? it seems to me that bol.it has much informations, covers, summary and even a better isbn search than ibs.it.
Does somebody has or could (and would :-) ) write a plug-in?

Thanks,
spike
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I've tried writing a plug-in for one of the bol sites once and had to give up because their site was impossible to parse. Then one of our users started work on bol.nl a while back but we haven't heard back from him again... :) It seems like those sites aren't very plug-in friendly. But I can have a look at them again in the future.
spike
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spike »

Nora wrote: It seems like those sites aren't very plug-in friendly. But I can have a look at them again in the future.
Googling for bookpedia and bol.it I found a similar application (Booxter) which uses Bol.it, so I think it shouldn't be impossible (but I don't know what I'm talking about... :) ) and actually this app finds more informations for italian books. But I'd prefer to use Bookpedia, which seems to me better than Booxter.

Ok. Thank you for your reply and greetings from Italy.
spike
carlosgarzi

problems with bol.it search

Post by carlosgarzi »

Bol.it plugin seems to don't work anymore. It does not find any books with italian iban.

Thankyou for the great work, bookpedia is the best application around (pleas make it work for italian books!).
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Bookedia doesn't actually have a bol.it plug-in yet so I'm not quite sure what you mean... I just tried the ISB plug-in Bookpedia and it seems to work fine... Could you be more specific?
carlosgarzi

Post by carlosgarzi »

My mistake. Exacltly: internet bookshop.it plugin. It seems not to be working, is not able (during search) to find any book connected to isbn number. perhaps my firewall is blocking it?
carlosgarzi

Post by carlosgarzi »

It is not the firewall, I have user little snitch to expressly authorize bookpedia. It is pratically unable to find any italian isbn. if you want to try I'll give you some:

Hugo, Notre dame de paris (mondadori): 8804477865
Bellow, Herzog (mondadori): 8804341149
Bassani, Il giardino dei finzi continui(mondadori): 8804495995
saramago, l'anno della morte di riccardo reis (einaudi): 8806141449

Are all very famous well selled books.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

IBS doesn't have an ISBN search on their site - that's why it's not working when you try it through Bookpedia. You'll have to use a keyword for the search, such as the title or the author or a combination of the two.
carlosgarzi

Post by carlosgarzi »

This means that is not possible to use isight with bookpedia for italian books?

Otherwise, is there a bol.it plugin? bol.it is a big italian books archive, and lets search italian books with iban.

thankyou for the answers.
spike
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spike »

Yes IBS.it plug-in works fine with keywords, but not with isbn. Actually, you can't do a search based on the isbn numbers neither on the ibs.it website.
I'd like a Bol.it plug-in both for the isbn search (especially trough iSight, I'm going to buy an iMac) and for the more data you can find on it (especially summary).

Bye!

spike
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've tried parsing the bol pages at one point and found them to be difficult. But I'll try again and see what I can do.
Phregas
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Phregas »

Hello to all. Are you aware that Amazon does have Italian books in its catalogue (and many)?
Ciao,
Stefano
spike
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spike »

Hi, any news about a bol.it plug-in for bookpedia?

thanks,
xizzy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xizzy »

Hello! Another italian here :)

I will be glad to use new plugins for searching italian books information... BOL is a possible source but we have also some z39.50 servers... obiouvsly i'm unable to correctly configure one of them :(

Are there any information on how to do it?

Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

For more information about signing up to a z39.50 server with Bookpedia, have a look at the Help file. (under 'adding')

Nora