Import local file URLs?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
saraheva

Import local file URLs?

Post by saraheva »

Hello-

I'm using Bookpedia to catalog website screen shots and it's working very well, but I recently batched about two thousand new screenshots and would like to import them into the program and let an intern tackle the surrounding data entry. I used the BibTex format to create a merge file that inputted the title and local file location.

Code: Select all

@book{,
    abstract = {},
    address = {},
    author = {},
    edition = {},
    editor = {},
    isbn = {},
    lccn = {},
    location = {},
    month = {},
    note = {},
    price = {},
    publisher = {},
    series = {},
    size= {},
    title = {Cool Website},
    year = {}
    img = {file:///Volumes/INTERACTIVE/Homepage-Directory/Bookpedia/Covers/screenshots/cool_website.jpg}
    }
The title field imported correctly but the images are not loading. Given the file numbering convention for the other images I've input manually, I wonder if that's the problem. How could I get around this and import the images successfully? Or maybe they just need to be in the Covers dir and not a subdir?

Any help is appreciated...thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Import local file URLs?

Post by Conor »

Bookpedia looks for a cover image in a BibTex file under "cover_picture_url". Do a find and replace of "img" so the final import file has that key value:

@book{,
    title = {Cool Website},
    cover_picture_url = {file:///Volumes/INTERACTIVE/Homepage-Directory/Bookpedia/Covers/screenshots/cool_website.jpg}
    }
That should work, otherwise the regular tab comma import allows you to set up the mapping from a column to the Bookpedia field, including the image file path.

title    Image
Cool Website    file:///Volumes/INTERACTIVE/Homepage-Directory/Bookpedia/Covers/screenshots/cool_website.jpg
I will update the next version of Bookpedia to take "img" into account for BibTex incase that is the commonly used keyword.
saraheva

Post by saraheva »

Thank you! This seems to have gotten me one step further, but just to make sure things were going to the right field, I exported it since the images still weren't coming through. So, the image URL should still be cool_website.jpg, but on export, the URLs are now renamed to be 9964.jpg on up for a few thousand, which of course means that the images don't match up. Ideas?
thank you SO much!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

When importing cover images the program renames them to match the internal id of the book. If you need to keep the same name then I recommend importing the image as a link as well. This way the link will remain exactly where it is and with the same name. You could do both the cover and link, so that get the benefit of seeing the cover directly in Bookpedia without having to click through to the linked file that appears under the details or link section of the add/edit window.

To add the file as a link you will need the CSV or comma style format that would let you map the third duplicate column of image page to a "A Link".

title    Image    A Link
Cool Website    file:///Volumes/INTERACTIVE/Homepage-Directory/Bookpedia/Covers/screenshots/cool_website.jpg    file:///Volumes/INTERACTIVE/Homepage-Directory/Bookpedia/Covers/screenshots/cool_website.jpg