Film Composers in DVDpedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Film Composers in DVDpedia

Post by Conor »

Hi Britta,

I am glad you were able to get the Xcode version working. I will take a closer look at the installer as it seems to be working. But in the future for any other installer links that do not work, you can copy the link and change the dvdpedia part to HTTP and remove the "download?" keyword to make a regular link that will download the file for manual install (dvdpedia://www.bruji.com/download?temp/imdbspecial.zip would turn into: http://www.bruji.com/temp/imdbspecial.zip). Since there is a handful of you using this version I been meaning to rename it so that at least you won't have to delete the included version inside the program after an upgrade. But I also plan to make the program more robust in the future so that this kind of custom field usage would be filled in automatically and I can upgrade the regular plug-in without needing a special version.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Britta wrote:DVDpedia is a great application. I think it can be much more than a DVD library.
It's quickly become one of my favorite apps. I definitely see its potential for being the single database to manage all my DVD renting/buying/viewing and theatre viewing. Still figuring out which custom metadata I'll want and where it seems to fit best (e.g. Custom fields or Tags). Once I've got a solid foundation then I'll figure out how to "import" from several places where info accumulated for awhile before hitting limitations and trying the next way to keep track of it.

Unlike all previous apps/efforts DVDpedia has enough flexibility without any restrictions that'll seriously inhibit what I want to use it for. Only wish I'd done this sooner. :)
reinklang
Captain
Captain

Post by reinklang »

kbarnes70 wrote:
reinklang wrote:Oops, what happened? Somehow I lost my beloved special IMDB option. I tried downloading/installing again from the link above, but no change. Any clues?
Have you upgraded the main program? If so you will need to reinstall your IMDbSpecial plug in. You can put it in User/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Plugins but it will be overruled by the standard IMDb plugin in the program package itself. You need to delete the standard one by going to the DVDpedia application, right clicking it, selecting show package contents, clicking contents, then plugins and then deleting the IMDB plugin. You can put the special one there if you like to replace the standard one, but each time you update the program you will need to remember to delete the standard plugin and replace it with the special version.

I just keep the special one in User/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Plugins and then simply delete the standard one whenever I update the main program. I imagine that on the next non-beta release Conor might have a more elegant solution, but for now this works just fine.

Hope I answered the question you were asking :)

Best regards,

Keith
Excellent! Thanks for this hint. It's working again. Phew...
I agree, it would be great to have this as a standard feature.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

reinklang wrote:
kbarnes70 wrote:
reinklang wrote:Oops, what happened? Somehow I lost my beloved special IMDB option. I tried downloading/installing again from the link above, but no change. Any clues?
Have you upgraded the main program? If so you will need to reinstall your IMDbSpecial plug in. You can put it in User/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Plugins but it will be overruled by the standard IMDb plugin in the program package itself. You need to delete the standard one by going to the DVDpedia application, right clicking it, selecting show package contents, clicking contents, then plugins and then deleting the IMDB plugin. You can put the special one there if you like to replace the standard one, but each time you update the program you will need to remember to delete the standard plugin and replace it with the special version.

I just keep the special one in User/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Plugins and then simply delete the standard one whenever I update the main program. I imagine that on the next non-beta release Conor might have a more elegant solution, but for now this works just fine.

Hope I answered the question you were asking :)

Best regards,

Keith
Excellent! Thanks for this hint. It's working again. Phew...
I agree, it would be great to have this as a standard feature.

Glad to be able to help. Kind regards,

Keith
roso

Post by roso »

Hi!
I was happy to use imdbspecial plug-in in order to fill automatically the "d.o.p." and "composer" fields.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work anymore with the 4.5.3 DVDPedia version.

I tried to install and uninstall "imdb" and "imdbspecial" plug-ins without result.
If I use "imdbspecial" plug-in, the credits are not filled anymore.

If you could help me, thanks a lot.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

roso wrote:Hi!
I was happy to use imdbspecial plug-in in order to fill automatically the "d.o.p." and "composer" fields.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work anymore with the 4.5.3 DVDPedia version.

I tried to install and uninstall "imdb" and "imdbspecial" plug-ins without result.
If I use "imdbspecial" plug-in, the credits are not filled anymore.

If you could help me, thanks a lot.
You are right. I think that the developers changed the way it works. Now, the composer, cinemaphotgarapher and editor are included in the 'cast' list in the Info View (I think you have to tick the relevant boxes in Preferences, Fields, Info View and you may have to use a Style template that supports it. I use CollectionLinks which you can download from this site. It also has the terrific advantage, IMO, that it gives clickable links on the cast names, director etc etc and when you click the link, all the other movies with these same people in are automatically displayed. I may be wrong about the way some of this works now - I am sure a PM to Conor will get you the right answer though if so.

Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Keith is correct, but I have also managed to update the next version of the program to be more flexible. With the next release if you name a custom field after one of the roles it will get filled as well. All this without requiring a special version of the plug-in that has been modified. I am not promising it quite yet as I still testing it out, but should be good to be included. Be sure to name your custom fields "Composer" and "Cinematographer" with the next release. As Keith mentioned this will still require you to turn on the downloading of the additional cast in the preferences for the plug-in under the last menu item, the image of a small plug-in.
roso

Post by roso »

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Should the new version works with the "editor" and "camera operator" fields as well?
Regards.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The roles have to match exactly, DVDpedia won't do any guessing. For "editor" and "camera operator" the roles tend to be more specific like "Matte Camera Operator" so they will not be imported.