Issue with Amazon DE Importer

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
rffn

Issue with Amazon DE Importer

Post by rffn »

Hello,

When I import data for a book from Amazon DE, I get the wrong field for the field "Zusammenfassung" (Summary? I don't know how to switch the program to english). Instead of getting the summary on the book form Amazon Getmany I get the first user comment, which I don't want to have there.

How can this be fixed (get the summary in the summary field)?

Example:

http://www.amazon.de/Python-GUI-Toolkit ... 950&sr=8-1

For this book I get the text starting with: "Für den Leser, der nicht beim Stand Null anfängt..." instead of the text under Produktbeschreibungen (product description), Kurzbeschreibung (short description) which starts with "Nach einer Einführung in die grundsätzliche ...". I would like to have the latter to be imported into the database instead of a user comment on the book.

Regards

RFFN
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Sometimes Amazon doesn't include the summary in the returned data because of copyright issues. When that's the case, the program automatically picks up the highest rated customer review. (Highest rated meaning the review that has gotten the highest 'helpful' rating from other reviewers.)
rffn

Re: Issue with Amazon DE Importer

Post by rffn »

Thanks.

Could I switch off this behaviour? I would rather like the field being blank (and update it manually later for some books) than have a user review in there. Or could can the insertion of a user review instead of the book description queried in the database?

Regards

RFFN
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. At the moment there is no preference for that behaviour. With the latest version 4.2.2. Amazon added the ability to sort reviews by helpfulness. So in the cases where no product description is given the review should be even better than previous versions; especially for movies with a large number of reviews.
Dingens
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dingens »

Hey
this is my first post, and first I want to thank you all for this wonderful software and the help I have found in the forum.

I am experiencing the same problem here when I get the data for my DVDs. THe first user review is of no help at all. I would love to get a short description, that also works in Frontrow. Any news on this subject? Or could I use another site and combine it with the search results from Amazon?

Thanks
Rolf
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

According to the information in the Amazon developer forums, they don't seem to have any plans to change this behaviour in the near future so we might have to make it a preference in the Pedias whether users want to download the review voted most helpful instead of nothing at all.

In the meantime, yes, you can use any of the other sites in DVDpedia to gather information, including the summary. Just delete any data you have in the summary field and then use the little gear button in the edit window to choose which site you'd like to gather more information from. That'll start an advanced search for the entry and if there is more than one result returned, a little drawer will pop out of the side of the edit window so you can choose the correct result. (You can also manually copy/paste data into the summary field of course.)
Dingens
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dingens »

Hey
thanks! Okay, this partly solves the problem.
AN idea for further development would be an option like: If Amazon doesn't deliver a summary, then get the summary from [whatever other online source]. This would save the user from manually work around the problem. Pity about amazon...
Thanks
Rolf