Author field with no commas

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Rui Guerreiro
Captain
Captain

Author field with no commas

Post by Rui Guerreiro »

Hi there,
I'm struggling to set this up, but it seems like that this is a new feature in version 5. The way I set my Authors in the Author field is "STEINBECK, John, 1902-1968", but as soon as I type the comma, each name becomes its own bubble. The only I can think of to keep doing this is not type the comma, but that is kind of the point, at least for me and for my method of organization.
Is it possible to bypass this comma behavior? I'd really prefer to get my authors as the example above as a single block (bubble).
Thank you so much.

Best,
Rui
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Author field with no commas

Post by Conor »

Hi Rui,

It's not possible in the new version to list your authors last name first with the comma. The new versions allows users to share data and we had to standardize on the most used format of first name first. It was also a necessity to introduce the bubble field into the author field that users requested since comma is the default separator for that type of field. You can still sort by last name even if the field is first name first, just hold down the Option key and re-sort the column. The bibliography export will also work correctly with last name first.

If you would like to keep the display in that way you would need to migrate your author information to custom field that does allow commas. To do so you would need to backup your database file at ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd and then run the following commands in the program called Terminal:

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd
update zEntry set zcustom1 = zauthor where zcustom1 is null;
.exit
You can update the custom number at the end to reflect the custom file you want to use if 1 is taken. Then you can rename that field in the preferences->fields to something like "Author Last".
Rui Guerreiro
Captain
Captain

Re: Author field with no commas

Post by Rui Guerreiro »

I'll have a look at it and see what works better for me.

Thanks a lot!