Pocketpedia requests

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Bones77SM
Inductee
Inductee

Pocketpedia requests

Post by Bones77SM »

Hi... I recently downloaded Pocketpedia onto my iPod Touch and love the ability to catalog my collections. So far, I've added my CD collection and found adding the CD's to the collection to be fairly easy. I would love to see some of the following features added to the application in the future (some of these are ideas suggested in other reviews found in the iTunes store):

> Add sort options to allow sorting by artist (for CD's) or author (for books), as well as possibly other criteria such as genre.
> Add search options for collections, such as name, artist/author, genre, rating, etc., rather than scrolling through a giant list (even with the ability to pick the first letter, it can be unwieldy).
> Add a count to show the number of items in each collection.
> Add the ability to move an item from one collection to another. For example, if I create a "Wishlist" collection and later obtain the given item, it would be nice to have an easy way to move the item from the Wishlist to the "Owned" collection.
> Allow user notes to be added to an item.

You have a great app, but I think this will make it even better. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac, so I can't use any of the desktop applications which would allow me to sync to my iPod Touch.

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia requests

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. Consider them all except the last suggestion done for the next 1.1 version. The last suggestion, allow user notes to be added to an item, will add to version 1.2 as it requires a bit more UI development. The 1.1 update should be out soon, so look for it in your App Store updates section in the coming days.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Just a thought (probably already posted as a request by someone, but there are so many requests :) ):

Would it be possible to include a hierarchical navigation in pocketpedia, i.e. the same structure as the 'music' application on the iPod;

- Authors/Artists > Author/Artist X > Book/CD X
- Publishers > Publisher X > Authors/Artists
etc

This way, I can see at a glance what books of a certain author I own or am looking for. It's fast, doesn't require me to type a lot and saves me from creating a collection for each author.
magictrain
Inductee
Inductee

Post by magictrain »

I'd love to see a more compact list, without covers or other details. My main reason for wanting the list on my iPhone is to see what I already have when shopping. I just want an alphabetical list of titles from DVDpedia (DVDs is all I've got set up right now) that doesn't take so many swipes to scroll through. Even better, some way to set preferences in Pocketpedia to determine what gets displayed in the list view, or maybe the detail view as well, or to order the details.

I'm not much into entering data in the field on my phone. I just haven't gotten into the whole iPhone typing thing too much yet. My main interest is in flexible display of data from the desktop applications.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We will add your vote for a compact text only list, thank you for the feedback. The new search feature should help a lot with looking up a specific entry in a large list. Also double tap on the top status bar brings you back to the search field at the top. It's a quick way to navigate there when browsing a large list. I just mention this last tip as it came as a surprise to me, it was an iPhone feature I did not know about.
reumut
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by reumut »

hi there,
i'm using dvdpedia for a long time and i love it. now i'm using pocketpedia and i love it very much too.
but, i just downloaded the latest update from pocketpedia and i'm sadly about the update. nearly nothing of the new features are for the dvdpedia library on my iphone.
i miss the possibility:
>sort options to allow sorting by artist, or producer, as well as possibly other criteria ...
>the possibility to filter entries in the info view. i don't need to see the disk number, country or the region and ...
>also a search option for actors, genre, last seen and ...

but nevertheless, it is a great app. and i hope further updates will solve this.

thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. Pocketpedia is still very new and we have many features on the to do list.
litewait

Post by litewait »

im not sure if this has been requested before but it needs a sync or import/export for windows users.

Is there a current way of looking in the iphone folders and copying a file and backing that up?

thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We do not have a Windows version or any immediate plans for one as we are Mac developers. We wish the new iPod was as open as the old iPod with it's disk mode and that it would be a simple drag and drop to take out files. iTunes does backup all the files on the iPod for you. There are lightly encrypted and there exists a program on the Mac called mdhelper by Eirka Sadun that will pull out files from the backup. Once again being Mac developers I do not know if a similar program exist in the Windows world.
jarod347
Inductee
Inductee

Post by jarod347 »

I love you app! I sell used books online and I often use my iPhone to search Amazon in order to find the value of the book. When I search for this info I type in the ISBNs, which can be a little tricky using the small number keys.

I have two suggestions/requests that would help with this. Either allow for landscape keyboard or have an option to use the phone keys that display only numbers. These larger keys would help with speedy entry as well as reduce typing errors (and thumb cramp).

Thanks for considering this,

Jarod347
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback about the number keypad. We have been considering it and are looking at a way to add that to the interface in a non obtrusive manner, as well as exploring other options.
litewait

Post by litewait »

We do not have a Windows version or any immediate plans for one as we are Mac developers. We wish the new iPod was as open as the old iPod with it's disk mode and that it would be a simple drag and drop to take out files. iTunes does backup all the files on the iPod for you. There are lightly encrypted and there exists a program on the Mac called mdhelper by Eirka Sadun that will pull out files from the backup. Once again being Mac developers I do not know if a similar program exist in the Windows world.
thanks for your reply

i was wondering is there was a perticular file i could backup with a "mod" iphone/pod using iphone browser or something simular?

i really like this app, but its pointless adding hundreds of dvds/cds and then loosing them all and have to input them again

thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you have a modified iPod the database file is called "pokectpedia.sql" and is located in /Library/Application Support/Pocketpedia. Each application on the iPhone has a unique identifier that would precede the path above.
reumut
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by reumut »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the feedback. Pocketpedia is still very new and we have many features on the to do list.
That sounds pretty good. can't wait. :D
thanks
litewait

Post by litewait »

If you have a modified iPod the database file is called "pokectpedia.sql" and is located in /Library/Application Support/Pocketpedia. Each application on the iPhone has a unique identifier that would precede the path above.
Hi, just to let you know, this did work although the .sql file wasnt in the above location but in

/private/var/mobile/applications/ -RANDOM LETTERS & NUMBERS - /libary/Application Support/pocketpedia

But the covers/pics doesnt get backed up. Anything i can do for this?

Thanks alot