opt-click author column

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
dvand

opt-click author column

Post by dvand »

I originally manually changed the author field to last name, first name to match a Word doc of my library. I soon realized that with all Bookpedia can do for me, that I had no reason to maintain the Word doc as well. I did like having Bookpedia sort by last name to match where they were on the shelves.

I then found a post by Conor that by option clicking the author column, it will change how they are sorted. Great. So I manually changed all the names back to first name last name. (To make it easier to sort when pulling book info from Amazon).

When I option-click the author column, about half of my collection correctly sorts by author last name. The other half has no immediately pattern to the sort. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Could you send us your Database.pediadata file so we can take a look at your data directly? That'll make it easier to figure out what's happening with the author sorting.
You'll find the file in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.pediadata. Please archive the file before sending it to ensure that it doesn't get corrupted by the mail process. (Ctrl-click it and choose 'Archive' from the contextual menu. That'll create a new file called 'Database.pediadata.zip' which you can then attach to the email.) Thanks!
You'll find our email address on the support page.
collector-hk

Sorting Author / Director

Post by collector-hk »

I have the same problem. The fields Author (Bookpedia) and Difrector (DVDpedia) sort only by first name but not by last name. This is not useful at all because you are searching people by family name.
dvand

Post by dvand »

I sent Nora my data file and she found additional spaces after the last name which threw the sort off. After clearing out those additional spaces, my problem was fixed and now it sorts correctly by last name.
collector-hk

Post by collector-hk »

I checked but in my case there are no empty spaces after the last names. The names are actually the way how they are downloaded from the internet. I do not do any changes.

Nora, could I sent you my data that you have a look at them?

Thanks.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Absolutely, send us your database file (or both since you seem to have the same problem with DVDpedia) so we can take a look at that here. You'll find the instructions on where to find the file, our email address, etc. in the post above.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Check your auto-fill

Post by sitenoise »

Something to try. Check your auto-fill. If you have any dupes in there, I'll bet they match up with the funky alphas. I had a similar issue, I went there and now all is well.