IMDB full cast

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: IMDB full cast

Post by sjk »

I think it's new in this beta that the "Picture Format" field name is truncated with the "Collection" Info View Style:

Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That shouldn't have changed. Given a tiny little bit of space it would fit, try making your window size a tiny little bit bigger; be it by resizing the whole window or just the collections side pane.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Resizing the Collections style (at least) doesn't change any field widths, even with a full Zoom (by clicking the green titlebar gumdrop; Window > Zoom is missing in the menu). The Tiger, TigerImage, and TigerPastel styles also truncate field names; I couldn't find any others that do.

None of the styles are fully satisfying, for different reasons (mostly field/column placements and colors), so I might try modifying one that's closest to my liking.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the feedback. You can certainly manually add the spacing in the credits tab, by adding a new row and placing dashes in for the name to create a separation. Try it out with the beta, where I have updated DVDpedia to have a cleaner look when there is no role present (e.i. no colon appears).
Hi Conor,

I tried the new beta and it leaves out the colon but it also leaves out the space too! What am I doing wrong? All I'm doing is creating a blank credit and dragging it to the right place. It's a blank line in the Edit pane but when I go to the main Info view, the space isn't shown. I'm using the Style called 'Collection' (the default I think).

Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The beta has the great thing that it cleans up the colon, but means then a blank line is just a "<li></li>" in HTML. HTML skips list item lines that are empty instead of adding a line. What you need to do is add some character in the blank like that is not a space, like "————". If you would like to add the colon back, you can edit the info view template to remove "IF_Trole" and "END_Trole" keywords.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:The beta has the great thing that it cleans up the colon, but means then a blank line is just a "<li></li>" in HTML. HTML skips list item lines that are empty instead of adding a line. What you need to do is add some character in the blank like that is not a space, like "————". If you would like to add the colon back, you can edit the info view template to remove "IF_Trole" and "END_Trole" keywords.
OK - got it. Thanks.

Regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

field name truncation revisited

Post by sjk »

Re-opening this issue (relative to beta 15):
sjk wrote:I think it's new in this beta that the "Picture Format" field name is truncated with the "Collection" Info View Style:

Seems to me there's plenty of unused space to the left of the Credits so the two left columns of info could be wide enough to avoid truncation, as seen in:

Btw, not sure when the Credits formatting changed but it's definitely more readable (to me) now -- thanks!
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: field name truncation revisited

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:Re-opening this issue (relative to beta 15):

Seems to me there's plenty of unused space to the left of the Credits so the two left columns of info could be wide enough to avoid truncation, as seen in:

Btw, not sure when the Credits formatting changed but it's definitely more readable (to me) now -- thanks!
Hey - so it has! But not in the CollectionsLinks version that I use :( I've never been sure where CollecitonsLinks came from - it's the version that makes clickable links of the Cast names, Director name etc, so that when you are in your Library and you click an Actor or Director etc, all your other movies with that name are selected automatically (as if you had done a search in the search bar, top right corner). It's not perfect - ideally it would enclose the name in "quotation marks" so that it finds precisely the name you want - currently it can find, for example, Daniel Craig and Daniel Radcliffe in the same search - putting "Daniel Craig" sorts it. But it's useful.

Back to your original point - I get the old style credits format with the Actor Name, colon, Role Name all immediately after each other, not the two justified columns you are getting.

While I'm griping, I also notice that the Summary text sometimes collides with the box that contains the cast which looks messy. Might not happen in Collection only in CollectionLinks.

I've had so much of Conor's time this last week I daren't ask for anything more for a while :) so I'm keeping quiet about it :)

Kind regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

kbarnes70 wrote:I've never been sure where CollecitonsLinks came from
Maybe here? Thanks for the detailed explanation. Might try it when I'm less sleep-starved.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:
kbarnes70 wrote:I've never been sure where CollecitonsLinks came from
Maybe here? Thanks for the detailed explanation. Might try it when I'm less sleep-starved.
Ah yes - thanks for that. It all comes flooding back now :)

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad you both like the new layout of the credits information. It's currently only in the beta and will be part of the next release.

The entire layout for the main collection info view has to be reworked to be more intelligent with the available space, it's scheduled for a major update. When we originally built it WebKit was not yet the amazing engine that it is today, that can even do rounded corners with CSS. Thank you for pointing it out so we don't forget.

@Keith, since you now know how to edit your info view you can add the quote marks into the search filter by editing the credits line in the template to have " around the search name, adding the new ellipsis separation is a bit more complicated but all the changes merged would look like this:

Code: Select all

<!--IFcredits
<div class="links">
<table>
[creditsBegin]
<tr><td><a href="pedia://bruji.com/filterBy="[credit:name]"&field=credits">[credit:name]</a></td>IF_Trole<td>  …  </td><td>[credit:role]</td>END_Trole</tr>
[creditsEnd]
</table>
</div>
ENDcredits-->
Replace your entire credits section with the one above.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:
@Keith, since you now know how to edit your info view you can add the quote marks into the search filter by editing the credits line in the template to have " around the search name, adding the new ellipsis separation is a bit more complicated but all the changes merged would look like this:

Code: Select all

<!--IFcredits
<div class="links">
<table>
[creditsBegin]
<tr><td><a href="pedia://bruji.com/filterBy="[credit:name]"&field=credits">[credit:name]</a></td>IF_Trole<td>  …  </td><td>[credit:role]</td>END_Trole</tr>
[creditsEnd]
</table>
</div>
ENDcredits-->
Replace your entire credits section with the one above.
Wow! I've done it and it worked! The addition of the quotes now seems to make that feature work perfectly. I can click 'Daniel Craig' and I don't get Daniel Radcliffe in the Harry Potter movies as well as 007 in the results :)

On the well known principle of 'there's no pleasing some people', I've come to the conclusion now that I *don't* like the new credits layout - I think it's the font rather than the principle. I know it's the same font but it looks weedier when it's separated out from the Actor's name like that, so I have removed that part from the HTML code (all by myself!) and just left the Double Quotes around the search subject. So I am a happy bunny now! Thanks for your help yet again.

While I'm here :) can you tell me what the 'Status' field is for? I only spotted it the other day and I have made a column in my info view table view listing and it adds a little graphic for some movies - but I can't see why.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad the quotes worked to make sure the filtered results accurate. Normally, not an issue as actor names tend to be quite unique, but as you point out there is a Harry Potter who's credits include both a Daniel (Radcliffe) and a Craig (Stuart Craig, Production design).

The status column shows a picture of a star when a DVDs is also in the wish list collection and the picture of a borrower from the address book (or generic red man) for DVDs in the borrowed collection.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Glad the quotes worked to make sure the filtered results accurate. Normally, not an issue as actor names tend to be quite unique, but as you point out there is a Harry Potter who's credits include both a Daniel (Radcliffe) and a Craig (Stuart Craig, Production design).
Yes - it's surprising how often that similar problem cropped up. But it's 100% solved now thanks to the "quote marks" around the searched name.
Conor wrote:The status column shows a picture of a star when a DVDs is also in the wish list collection and the picture of a borrower from the address book (or generic red man) for DVDs in the borrowed collection.
Ah - that explains most of it - my Wish List is an Excluded Collection and I have no Borrowers. I also get a little paper clip graphic - that seems to be on records that have links.

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I forgot the paperclip for links and the QuickTime icon for when linked to a movie file.