pocketpedia sync to Dvdpedia.

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Surfmonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Re: pocketpedia sync to Dvdpedia.

Post by Surfmonkey »

Conor wrote:
synch the result back to the desktop
At the moment the sync is one way. We wanted to keep the program simple at first and add features with each release, due to the lack of a large beta test group on the iPhone.
how exactly do you delete an entry
With one finger swipe across the entry, a delete button will appear to confirm the deletion. This is also true for the created collections.

Excellent! I figured deletion would be simple. I should have tried swiping before I asked. Thanks! Also, sounds like two way sync is in the pipeline. That makes me happy.
:D
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

bishop wrote:With the ad-hoc network connecting my iPod Touch and iMac, the firewall logged the following denied request:

10.0.0.2 (iPod): port 49438
10.0.0.1 (iMac): port 59406

I opened port 59406 on my iMac and all is well. Given what Conor said, that the ports are chosen dynamically, I don't know that this will work for everyone - but checking the firewall log should yield the correct port.
It might be helpful if we listed the ports that, when opened, fix the problem. Mine (as seen in the quoted post) is 59406.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

I tried DVDpedia with Pocketpedia and came up with a different set of port numbers:

10.0.0.2 (iPod): 49631
10.0.0.1 (iMac): 62235

So, for Bookpedia & DVDpedia, I have opened ports 59406 and 62235 on my iMac.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

I haven't downloaded this program yet, as my iTouch is due to arrive this this. Does it have a search function so that you can search within your Bookpedia and/or DVDpedia collections?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There's no internal search yet in Pocketpedia but it's on the feature request list for the future already.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

That's great! Sorry about my typo--I didn't notice it until now. It should say that my Touch is due to arrive this "week".
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

bishop wrote:I tried DVDpedia with Pocketpedia and came up with a different set of port numbers:

I could use some help please. I have both my iPod Touch and Powerbook (soon to be MacBook) on the same wireless network. I looked in the Console Log (ipfw.log) to see which ports it was trying to use. Now I need help in actually setting those up. I just purchased a Time Capsule a few days ago and am still trying to understand it. Do I change something within System Preferences/Sharing or on the Time Capsule itself. If it's the Time Capsule, could someone give me step-by-step how/where to open these ports?
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

teacher24_70 wrote:
bishop wrote:I tried DVDpedia with Pocketpedia and came up with a different set of port numbers:

I could use some help please. I have both my iPod Touch and Powerbook (soon to be MacBook) on the same wireless network. I looked in the Console Log (ipfw.log) to see which ports it was trying to use. Now I need help in actually setting those up. I just purchased a Time Capsule a few days ago and am still trying to understand it. Do I change something within System Preferences/Sharing or on the Time Capsule itself. If it's the Time Capsule, could someone give me step-by-step how/where to open these ports?
The successful attempts I made at connecting the two were through an ad-hoc AirPort network created on my iMac. I don't have a Time Capsule base station, so I don't know if anything needs to be done there. I do know, however, that you need to be sure the port listed in your log (the port on your local computer, not the iPod...check the ip addresses to be sure you're looking at the right device) is open in your Mac's firewall. You're right - go to Preferences/Sharing.

I assume that putting the Mac and the iPod on the same wireless network, with the open port on the Mac, will do the trick, but again, I don't know how "open" the firewall on the Time Capsule unit is. My wireless network is on a different subnet than my wired network (I use Smoothwall on an old Dell system), and my attempts at creating pinholes between the two for PocketPedia have been unsuccessful so far.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

Thanks. I did it within the Sharing System Preferences tab and that's all it took. My Touch is syncing my DVDpedia collection as I type.

I had been under the assumption from other posts that I HAD to do it on the router itself and not just the Mac. That's what I was trying to figure out how to do.
gryphyn

Post by gryphyn »

First off, I love all the Pedias. I'd just like to add another request for the static firewall port. :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

With version 4.3.1 the static ports for those on Tiger or with an external firewall are:
  • 8110 DVDpedia
    8120 Bookpedia
    8130 CDpedia
    8140 Gamepedia