Multiple add

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Multiple add

Post by danco »

We can add multiple items either by entering the data or using iSight.

It would be nice to do this using a bar code canner also.

That way one could do the scanning while not connected to the internet, and actually search later.

Or is there another neat way of adding a bunch of bar codes without searching for the items, and then doing the search at a later time?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can add multiple items in the add multiple command with a barcode scanner. Most scanner send a return character after the scan and that will add it to the list of items to search for.

You can also add them to the add multiple while you are away from the internet and perform the search later. However a text file also works, as you can copy paste afterwards into the add multiple, that way you can save the text file in case your computer turns off and you won't lose all the scans before running the search online.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Right, I didn't understand the way Multipe Add worked, and I do now.

Might still be nice (usual comment applies, that users don't know whether something is difficult to program) if one could either save the Add Multiple window for future use, or Copy it into a text file for later use. I see that one can drag and drop from the window to a text editor, but Copy and Paste is sometimes easier.

As you say, a text file also works, but I'm not sure how one would get a bunch of barcodes into a text file as distinct from getting it into a Pedia window. But I haven't got a barcode scanner yet, it's on the way from eBay, so perhaps that is easy to do.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You are right we should add copy and paste to the table in the add multiple. Will look at adding some kind of automatic saving, so that the add multiple window always has all those searches you haven't yet performed, but this might confuse some users as it's not what they would expect the window to do. Thank you for the feedback.

Barcode scanners tend to work by mimicking the keyboard. So if you open TextEdit and start scanning you should get a barcode number on each line. Also the add multiple input area although just one line in height will take a paste of many lines as input.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Conor wrote:Also the add multiple input area although just one line in height will take a paste of many lines as input.
Which answers the question I had. With adding multiple text entries I was trying Drag and Drop, and pasting, into the big box in the window, and this didn't work. It never occurred to me to put it into the one line box. Now I know this it works fine. Perhaps this needs mentioning in the help.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Perhaps this needs mentioning in the help.
Consider it done.