Trying to import DVDpedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
llprice
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to import DVDpedia

Post by llprice »

I have old versions 4.1.1 of both Book, and DVD pedias, and purchased upgrades for both on App Store. Had to move to a new computer after hard-drive failure.
I installed 4.1.1 Bookpedia, then imported backup, and upgraded to 5 to restore db collection.
However, The DVDpedia version 4.1.1 won't install on my computer (Lion). Is there some way I can get my collection backup imported into DVDpedia 5? I thought
llprice
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Trying to import DVDpedia

Post by llprice »

Data created in and older version of Bookpedia (4.1.1) vanished a few minutes after I updated to version (5.1). So, I just ininstalled everything, and deleted the folder in the ~library, reinstalled an old copy 4.1.1, put db collection backup (extracted) back into the ~library. The small (200+) collection of data (with images) loaded okay. So, I clicked update to 5.1. Holding my breath.

But, I paid for the upgrade at App Store -- so am I going to have a problem in a few days when I'm prompted to provide a registration number -- assuming the data backup stays in place?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

So right now your data is showing fine, in version 5.1, is that correct? If so, you're all set. All that's missing is you have to download the program through the App Store if that's where you bought it since you don't have a serial number now but instead the program is tied to your iTunes account on your computer.

So delete the DVDpedia you have in your Applications folder now and re-download it from the App Store. Your data will not be affected by this since it is kept in a separate location from the program for exactly these reasons.
llprice
Contributor
Contributor

Post by llprice »

Nora wrote:So right now your data is showing fine, in version 5.1, is that correct? If so, you're all set. All that's missing is you have to download the program through the App Store if that's where you bought it since you don't have a serial number now but instead the program is tied to your iTunes account on your computer.

So delete the DVDpedia you have in your Applications folder now and re-download it from the App Store. Your data will not be affected by this since it is kept in a separate location from the program for exactly these reasons.
Hello Nora, Thanks so much. That's what I wanted to know -- about Bookpedia. It seems to be undated and stable, so I'll download from iTunes again and see what happens.