New DVDpedia - few remaining issues

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
alorenzen
Contributor
Contributor

New DVDpedia - few remaining issues

Post by alorenzen »

Dear team,

I bought already DVDpedia and by reading through the threads I was able to sort out a lot of "issues" I had. I.e. as by another thread I can confirm TextEdit works fine to convert Western European code to UTF-8, so you won't need TextWrangler as mentioned.
But a few things remaining:

- I imported from Dvd-Profiler XML. So no covers converted. When I try just to load covers they will be not found for the most of my items.
- When I try to load Extra-Info Covers loaded but quite often the Blue-ray covers loaded for DVD. So it seems the search funktion uses mainly the title and not the EAN/UTF. And as reasonable it overwrites other content as well.
- The sources for Extra-Info defers on quality to specific DVD/Blue-ray. Unfortunately I did not found any option to reset/delete this info to be able to load a different one. It seems it does not just overwrite when I tried to load a different one.
- my iSight as well having problems. I only mention because I didn't read anybody pointing out my version (iMac 21.5)"

Produkt-ID: 0x8502
Hersteller-ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 2.30

Thx in advance for your help

cheers
Nora
Site Admin

Re: New DVDpedia - few remaining issues

Post by Nora »

I imported from Dvd-Profiler XML. So no covers converted.
Make sure that your export your data in XML format and then copy the DVD Profiler images folder (found in My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default\Images) to the same location as the .xml file and name the images folder IMAGES. So as an example, if you export your .xml file to the Desktop, the IMAGES folder also needs to be located on the Desktop for the import into DVDpedia. That way all your cover images will come along.

As for the cover image search - the program automatically uses whatever site you have selected in the search window (the one that comes up when you press the plus button in the toolbar) so make sure you select the site you want there. The search is done on ASIN and if that's not available on title.

For the advanced search - the 'Get Advanced Info' menu command will download the first result returned for a movie. This is usually not a problem however if it's a movie with a common name or one that has sequels, it can happen that the wrong result is returned.
That same feature but with some more control over the returned results can be found in the Add/Edit window. Click on the little gear button and choose the site you'd like to search for advanced information. Now if there's more than one result returned, the little drawer on the side of the window will pop out and you can choose the correct one.

(Alternatively, there's also an 'undo' feature so if you prefer to use the Get Advanced Info menu command and the info downloaded is wrong, just press Command-Z on your keyboard and the action will be undone so you don't have to delete the whole entry.)

We're currently working on re-doing the iSight feature completely from the ground up. Hopefully that'll take care of the issues we've been seeing with the different cameras.
alorenzen
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New DVDpedia - few remaining issues

Post by alorenzen »

Thx for your quick response. The import including covers works perfect. With the other features I will play around a bit later. Reminding for the undo feature will be very helpful I guess. :-)
So apart from iSight which I only mentioned to make you aware of further hardware I guess my only complain will be of future cover quality. As I played around with covers before your import hint I was not very impressed by the quality.I know this is not on the tool, but on the sources. That is some real advantage by DVD Profiler community, really.
Despite this I am pretty sure I will enjoy it. :-)

thx so far