Removing bad info from "Get Advanced..."?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
pmac

Removing bad info from "Get Advanced..."?

Post by pmac »

Hi...

I imported about 1500 books from another application. Import went fine, wanted to add info that wasn't there already for some books. Selected all the entries, right-click, "Get Advanced Info". When it was done, there were a LOT of books that kept the correct title and author, but had a cover and summary for a book called "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barberry.

Why did this happen, and is there an easy way to remove the bogus info?

thanks...
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Removing bad info from "Get Advanced..."?

Post by Conor »

Which one of the search sites did you use that it got the same book information for several? This way I can try it out. There is undo, but this affects all the books that were done in the batch, plus it's likely that you have already done other things or quit the program. The other option is to select all the books that have the wrong information (an easy way to do is by sorting by a column where they all share the wrong attribute "isbn, pages or series" to group them together). Then choose the edit command and check all the boxes (minus author and title) and leave the fields empty. This will remove all the wrong attributes.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

As for the 'get advanced info' feature - I'm not sure why so many entries received the wrong information and then always the same wrong entry as well. Unfortunately with that feature the first result returned is added automatically. But you can try retrieving the data individually for the entries instead of doing a batch search. You can do this with the little gear button in the Add/Edit window. Click on it and choose the site you'd like to search for advanced info. If there is more than one result returned, the little drawer will pop out of the side of the window so you can choose the correct result.
pmac

Post by pmac »

Conor - I selected the Amazon US site as the search site. Thanks for the suggestions on removing the bad info.

Nora - If I'm understanding you correctly, I chose the batch option (select all books, right click, Get Advanced Info...) instead of doing the books individually to save time. Set it to go right before bedtime...

thanks folks...
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

No, with the batch search you won't be able to review the results returned so even though it will save you time, you risk the chance of getting the same wrong results as previously. I'd recommend doing the individual 'get advanced info' with the gear button in the edit window.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Also please try the beta version, I made some changes to avoid the bug you are describing.