Help! I deleted my DVDpedia Library!

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ebbs1982

Help! I deleted my DVDpedia Library!

Post by ebbs1982 »

I accidentally deleted my DVDpedia library. Yes, I emptied my trash and No, I do not have a backup. What I do have is the entire library in PocketPedia on my iPhone. Is there a way to sync this back to DVDpedia on my computer? Any other suggestions on how to recover? I have 538 discs and really don't want to enter them all again.Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. - Chris
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Help! I deleted my DVDpedia Library!

Post by Conor »

Sorry to hear about your accidental loss. Hold down the option key and select the Pocketpedia command under the main help menu in DVDpedia. This will open a debug window, click on the import button while still holding down the option key, then follow the onscreen instructions. This will import Pocketpedia as a new excluded collection, select all the movies and run the "Get Advance Info--> Amazon" to download the covers and any missing details. Then don't forget to include the collection in your library under the file menu and you can remove the imported collection who's icon should have now turned blue from being grey (excluded).

Look into buying an external drive and using TimeMachine, it makes backups and restores a very easy process.
ebbs1982

Post by ebbs1982 »

Thank you very much for the response Conor. I'll give this a try when I get home tonight. Also, thanks for the advice with the external harddrive. I'm looking for one already. Losing an easily replaceable thing like my DVDpedia library was bad enough. I can't image losing something bigger like the 140 GB of music I have in iTunes. I'll have an external harddrive and start backing up this week.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

ebbs1982 wrote:I can't image losing something bigger like the 140 GB of music I have in iTunes.
All hard drives eventually fail. Using computers without having backups is a foolish risk (unless you can afford to lose data), but many people stll continue to do it (even after they've lost crucial data!).
ebbs1982

Post by ebbs1982 »

Conor,

Thank you! Worked like a charm. Also, I bought a hard drive and did my first back-up this afternoon. That was long overdue and I'm glad I'm finally protected if anything happens. By the way, love the program. The best is hearing the reactions when I get to show off my collection to someone new. The one thing I don't like is that the last update makes the cover art all different sizes in full screen mode. I thought it looked cleaner when everything was the same. Maybe in a future update you can let the user toggle this option on and off. Whatever the case, its a small complaint and the programs otherwise perfect. Thanks for the great support and a fantastic product.

- Chris
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Great news Chris. Thank you for the kind words. We are trying out the variable hight in the full screen mode, but I think you are correct in that we might have to add a preferences. We personally like it the old way, but some users like the ability to see that Blu-ray discs are smaller than the regular DVDs. Thank you for the feedback. TimeMachine actually makes backup a little fun (browsing the backups) and helps one sleep better at night. Don't forget to put a small set of your extremely important things online somewhere like MobileMe or a web server. We humans tend not to prepare for the worst case scenario like a fire, as we would like to think it would never happen. DVDpedia data is the kind of thing you want to have a backed up outside of your house, it's great to dazzle the insurance people with as well.