Plugin Compile problem

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Franco
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Plugin Compile problem

Post by Franco »

I tried to compile the Plugin Code example for DVDPedia but it failed on 10.7 (Lion). So I update the setting to have 10.7 as target. Now I get two errors both are "Shell Script Invocation Error"

while trying to Create a directory for Derived Data

and then

to CP to that directory.

The directory exist. I even try to change the path of this directory and still failed to build.

What can i do ?

----
I use DVDPedia for reference and iTunes to watch movie thru AppleTV. Now I have to Export the data to a Numbers spreadsheet then, use an applescript to take the data from the spreadsheet and to update my iTunes database. I would like to Try :-) to do it with a plugin. Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Franco
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Plugin Compile problem

Post by Conor »

Hi Franco,

The new Xcode segregates builds. The old plug-in expected to have a copy of DVDpedia.app present inside the same folder that the plug-in was built to make debugging possible. I have updated the code so that it checks if DVDpedia.app is there before trying to copy to avoid the warning for those that don't have a shared build folder. Please download plugin example again for the fix.

To make debugging easier, you can amend this same script to target a copy of your DVDpedia.app where you keep it.

Select the sample project (blue icon on the left side navigation). Select "target-->sample" on the next navigator pane and then go to the "Build Phases" tab. If you click on "Quit Copy Launch" you will find the script that was giving the error. Here you can change "$CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR/" sections to a static path like "/Applications/" (don't change the penultimate one, right after "cp -Rf" that would be the actual path to the plug-in that gets copied into DVDpedia.app).

If you then click under the pop-up on the top right that says "Sample -> My Mac 32-bit" and select "Edit Schemes" under "executable" for the run scheme you can set "DVDpedia.app" from the location above. This will allow you to use the debugger, stop at code inspect it in real time as well as run the plug-in automatically with command-r, instead of having to drag it into DVDpedia yourself and launching DVDpedia.

Thank you for pointing out that the sample code needed modernizing for Lion.
Franco
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Franco »

Conor wrote:Thank you for pointing out that the sample code needed modernizing for Lion.
The only thing I am pointing is my ignorance :-)

Never worked with plugin. Programming since 1979 for fun, my last jobs as a paid programer was in 96 on a large simulator wrote in Fortran :-)
I did some little personal thing on Mac and IOS but I have very little time for it now. Thank you for helping me with my first step in the Plugin area.

With you instruction, I am happy to report that it compile without error.
I Could not follow everything you ask, so i still need to move the plugin in the right directory, but I am happy and I will start playing around with this.

Thank you

Franco
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I am glad I was able to help. Xcode can be daunting and it's quite a large program that does a lot of things, so figuring out how can take a while. After a decade I still have trouble with build settings as there are so many possibilities. But once you have something building you are on your way and from there baby steps to iPad programming. :)