better export options

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
-LD
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

better export options

Post by -LD »

I might be doing something wrong, or missing a step, but I'd like to see more powerful export features. For example, the actors field lists ALL actors, rather than individual actors associated with that field.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd like a method to export the data so I can have some fun manipulating it in Excel or in a database. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: better export options

Post by Conor »

The tab delimited export only exports the columns that are shown. Since the credits or the links can't be shown in columns, you need to use the template option to include those fields. This will let you build an export just the way you like it, and format the credits the way makes more sense for a multiple value field. The following basic export does credit names with a comma:

Code: Select all

<!--BeginRepeat-->[key:director]	[key:title]	"<!--IFcredits[creditsBegin][credit:name], [creditsEnd]ENDcredits-->"
<!--EndRepeat-->
Put that into a text (.txt) file and drop it into the folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Templates (create Templates if necessary). It will then be available for export under the text template pop up.

You can even include the path to the covers if you would like to work with covers, use the following:

Code: Select all

/Users/[UserName]/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Covers/[key:uid].jpg
You can find an entire list of keyword here, but they are mostly what you would guess at.

If your interested in importing into an SQL database, you might want to interact directly with the DVDpedia database file that is SQL. You can dump the entire file to SQL by using the following command in the terminal "sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata .dump > ~/Desktop/DVDpedia.sql". Otherwise you can use SQLite to work with the database. Backup your data folder before working with the database, as circumventing DVDpedia and using direct access can be dangerous.

Download the beta for a small fix, where it was not removing the "<!--IFcredits" section during the text export when there where no credits.
-LD
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: better export options

Post by -LD »

Thanks! That gives me some good options to try out. I'll play around with it.