searching in Pocketpedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

searching in Pocketpedia

Post by danco »

I tried yesterday for the first time to search in Pocketpedia. I had problems, which maybe my iTouch or may be the program.

I typed in a letter, then the next letter I typed one of two things often happened. It would either not show up on the keyboard so I tried it again and ultimately found it had been typed twice or else it would stay shown on the keyboard for a long time and not let me type anything else.

If it is a Pocketpedia issue, I think what is happening is that each time a leter is typed, the entries are filtered by what has been currently typed. With my large collection of books (over 4000) this takes some time.

It would be neater - as a user setting - if no searching took place until the Search key is pressed..
Conor
Top Dog

Re: searching in Pocketpedia

Post by Conor »

Search as you type could be causing the slow down. Although we thought about this issue with large collection like yours and to mitigate we only start the search on the third letter. When the forth letter is typed the search is only performed on the filtered results, so that should only about 100 or less records left filtered that the iPod Touch CPU should be able to handle in realtime. So you could see a pause on the third letter with a large collection. Also if you are a fast typer the search will wait until you're done typing, but this is a relative thing as we all type differently, so it's not really a tip or feature. Thank you for the feedback, will look at adding a preference or changing the behavior to only search on the search button for collections over a certain size. To verify that it's not your iPod please try restarting it. Hold down the power button and then slide to turn off, then hold the power button to turn it on and try a search in Pocketpedia.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Definitely not the iTouch itself. I have turned it off and then on again. I get the same issue in Pocketpedia, whereas other apps (Notes, Safari bookmarks, and others) let me type as fast as I can.

But the issue in Pocketpedia occurs immediately after I have typed the first letter, it doesn't wait till the third letter, there is a long delay in accepting letters (and sometimes they are accepted without showing on the screen). It does seem to be a matter of my large collection of books, I've checked in CDPedia and DVDPedia, where I have only around 300 entries, and all goes well with them.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Just noticed another issue, which occurs in Bookpedia but not in CDPedia or DVDPedia. Clicking on one of the alphabet buttons just does not go to the relevant letter.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the extra information.