DVDpedia: Supporting Boxed Set DVDs

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
blerp

DVDpedia: Supporting Boxed Set DVDs

Post by blerp »

I've searched for this requested before creating this topic, and did not find it, so hopefully I'm not repeating a request here.

So, I seem to buy plenty of boxed set DVDs, such as:
  • Adventures of Indiana Jones - 4 discs
    Star Trek - The Original Crew Movie Collection - 6 discs
    Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection - 7 discs
    Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus Megaset - 14 discs
    Tenchi Universe - The Complete Boxed Set - 8 discs
    Stanley Kubrick Collection - 9 discs
    etc... (lots more)
Now I purchase these boxed sets as single entities, and Amazon.com sells them that way. And some of the sets are, shall we say, more cohesive than others in terms of selection. And sometimes the only way to buy the movies is as a boxed set, like the original Star Wars Trilogy. However, I want to track the details for each dvd/movie separately from each other, kind of like how IMDB manages it's data. Plus, I can and do lend out the movies separately from each other.

Fennel DVDManager does a decent job of managing boxed sets, and I suggest checking it out. (DVDManager's philosophy is keep the number of details slim, thus targeting a different audience than yours...) It seems to pull from the Amazon.com lookups the number of discs, and create placeholders in a subtree from the main record for them. The details are pretty slim from Amazon on the individual disks, but I'd rather have the place to put the info in manually than having to try and jam 9 completely different movies into one entry. Now I don't endorse DVDManager as the way to handle this, just as a guideline. The "Get More Info" button on the Advanced tab should probably apply to only the individual discs or something.

Thanks for creating a great product!
Conor
Top Dog

thank you for the feedback.

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. Box sets is something we have thought about, and hope to add in future releases.
blerp

Post by blerp »

Cool! Thank you for the quick response!

Until such a feature is added, could other people tell me how they cope with this issue? I'm looking for a good strategy in the interim. :D
apeach
Contributor
Contributor

Box Sets

Post by apeach »

The capability to handle box sets is the one missing element of DVDpedia. A good, creative implementation of a way to handle box sets is at the top of my wishlist.
edimnetz

What I do is ...

Post by edimnetz »

Hi,

I have the same Problem with box sets - kind off why I don't like them. It's just hard to cataloge them. :lol:

Anyway, here's what I do:
Workin with the example of my "Mission Impossible Box". I just added the box twice to my collection. Once for each movie.
This way you will have the same picture of the box for both movies. And to differentiate between those two I just name them something like "Mission Impossible I (Box Set)".

So again: they appear under each other in your DVD list. With the same box set picture, and just a different title. But you can still tell that it's a box set.

This works for me. :wink:
Mac-Tom
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Mac-Tom »

Hi,

I just purchased DVDpedia and it´s great.

The only Problem is to handle these BOX sets and I would like it very much to have a solution for it. It should be possible to add every DVD you want under a BOX category and of course also each movie from the BOX should appear in the Libary.

At the moment I handle it like that:
I add all movies of each BOX and then I add the itself also and store it in a separate category. This solution just doesn´t work for example with the StarWars Trilogy because the included movies are not available.

CU, Tom
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can download the information for the separate movies straight from imdb instead of Amazon, as they just have an entry for the Star Wars Trilogy as one. But IMDB will give you the information for each movie. Just change the search locale to IMDB before searching.
kuzelnik
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

My vote

Post by kuzelnik »

My vote for bumping this feature up to the top of the list . .

:)
Atomitanz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Atomitanz »

me too :wink:

I have several box sets. I would like to see this feature soon :wink:

Atomitanz 8)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The reason this change is slow in coming is that is one of the harder ones to do. It means a change to the core of DVDpedia not an addition. It means I have to change the main table to an outline view; and this table in the code of DVDpedia is the big daddy of everybody. It handles most requests, as it handles the data and lets other functions know what is selected and what is going on. So replacing it is a big task.
kuzelnik
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

So...

Post by kuzelnik »

So stop wasting time and get to it! :) :) :)

From the way you explained it, it sounds like the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to do...is that right?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It's already embedded in there, it will be as complicated today as next month.
Salieri
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Salieri »

Hi! I'm a relatively new user of DVDpedia. I've registered the product after trying every other DVD Librarian I could find.
I am glad to read about that you are working on to implement box sets, a feature which I'm really missing in DVDpedia.
kuzelnik
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Maybe?

Post by kuzelnik »

Maybe this will be included in the BIG, FANTASTIC, GREAT update that's going to happen when you switch to Universal Binary?
fossicker

Post by fossicker »

Just putting in my vote for the Boxset feature.
It's the feature I would like the most. :)