CDPedia view styles

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

CDPedia view styles

Post by danco »

I was running through the various templates for view styles (including some I had made for myself).

I notice that all of them that have both track title and artist name show as

Artistname Tracktitle.

I would much prefer the option of

Tracktitle (Artistname).

Maybe this could be done as a template in a future upgrade.

I also like the tracks to be numbered. I had worked out a way of doing this neatly (so that the number occurred inside the area for tracks rather than outside).

We discussed this a while back, and you indicated that the way I did it was officially deprecated with recent changes to the standards. It would be nice to have an official template that numbered the tracks, preferably two of them to allow for both option of artist names.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: CDPedia view styles

Post by Conor »

To switch the order of the information you only need to modify the order in the template. Modify your favorite template and change:

Code: Select all

[tracksBegin]<li>[track:artist] [track:name][track:duration][durationSeparation: (*)]</li>
[tracksEnd]
for:

[tracksBegin]<li>[track:name] [track:artist][track:duration][durationSeparation: (*)]</li>
[tracksEnd]
Also you could apply a CSS style to number the tracks (although as you mentioned you might have to modify the CSS further so the numbers stay in the box).

<ul style="list-style-type:decimal">
The previous post information should still apply, what changed was the keys that are used for filling out the information. We will try to create a template that has a similar style to include with CDpedia in the future.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Thanks. I have it more or less OK.

There's one issue of fussy style that it would be nice to get right.

Using

[track:name] - [track:artist]

produces a dash between the name and the artist, which is useful. But for CDs with no artist name (perhaps because the whole CD is btone person) it gives an ugly dash at the end of the name.

On the other hand, just using

[track:name] [track:artist]

runs on too much when there is an artist's name.

But this is trying for perfection!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Adding the if statements to the track section is something we have always wanted to do to add more flexibility. So I have gone ahead and implemented it for the next version, you can also download the beta.

Because HTML does not like comments inside comments the format is IF_TnameOfField:

[tracksBegin]<li>[track:name]IF_Tartist - [track:artist]END_Tartist[track:duration][durationSeparation: (*)]</li>
[tracksEnd]
You will also find the artist behind the title in the beta's "Collections" info template.
Trying for perfection!
Perfection is impossible in software, but at least we will try.