[DVDpedia] Feature Requests Poll

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

[DVDpedia] Feature Requests Poll

Post by FromOZ »

As a help for DVDpedia users and Conor, and to have a summary list of feature requests for DVDpedia in one place, I am offering the following as suggested format for a poll. If anyone is interested and wants to vote :) instructions follow below the list.

======== DVDpedia Feature Request Poll List ========
  1. Change from XML data store to embedded SQL database (i.e. SQLite)
  2. Fields - add field for movie title in original language
  3. Fields - add multi-entry fields for DVD languages and sound. So, for example, English DD 5.1; English DTS 5.1; French DD 2.0; German DD 2.0 can be entered.
  4. Fields - enter multiple region codes
  5. Fields - make statistics on custom fields optional
  6. Fields - more custom fields
  7. UI - when cast or crew name mouse clicked quick list comes up showing all movies they have been in and what their role was.
  8. Database - support for boxed sets. DVDs can be added and viewed onscreen as children of a boxed set.
  9. Database - currency code field next to price fields, price fields only accept numbers, currency conversion table (taken from Internet?), total value of DVDs is in 'home' currency code with non-home currency amounts converted.
======== DVDpedia Feature Request Poll List ========

How To Use The List Poll.

Voting On Poll List
The poll has a numbered list - in your reply to this post quote original message then remove [ quote ] [ /quote ] BBCode code and extra text so that only the numbered list is left. Then enter your rating as to desirability using "Low", "Medium" or "High" in brackets. So your posting could have feedback looking like this:

1. [High] Change from XML data store to embedded SQL database (i.e. SQLite)
2. [Medium] Fields - add field for movie title in original language
3. [Medium] Fields - add multi-entry fields for DVD languages and sound.
...etc

Where, for example, item 2 is feature request "Fields - add field for movie title in original language". The numbers for the feature requests in the poll will not change.

Adding Your Own Items To Poll List
Below the "DVDpedia Feature Request Poll List" section of your forum reply please add your own feature requests (check first that your request is not already on the list) and they will be added to the master list. People can then edit their own original posting to add their vote for that extra feature if they wish.
KiplingCat
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: [DVDpedia] Feature Requests Poll

Post by KiplingCat »

FromOZ, is this what you had in mind? I had to add the item #s back in manually as when your post is quoted they are represented by an asterisk.

1. [low]Change from XML data store to embedded SQL database (i.e. SQLite)
2. [high]Fields - add field for movie title in original language
3. [medium]Fields - add multi-entry fields for DVD languages and sound. So, for example, English DD 5.1; English DTS 5.1; French DD 2.0; German DD 2.0 can be entered.
4. [medium]Fields - enter multiple region codes
5. [low]Fields - make statistics on custom fields optional
6. [high]Fields - more custom fields
7. [medium]UI - when cast or crew name mouse clicked quick list comes up showing all movies they have been in and what their role was.
8. [high]Database - support for boxed sets. DVDs can be added and viewed onscreen as children of a boxed set.
9. [medium]Database - currency code field next to price fields, price fields only accept numbers, currency conversion table (taken from Internet?), total value of DVDs is in 'home' currency code with non-home currency amounts converted.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

KiplingCat wrote:FromOZ, is this what you had in mind? I had to add the item #s back in manually as when your post is quoted they are represented by an asterisk.
Yep - that's it basically. The asterisk is used in BBCode (see http://www.bruji.com/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode#7) to make a numbered ordered list, like this,
  1. One
  2. Two
Which indents nicely. It needs the "list=1" then "/list" inside square brackets for BBCode.

Also if you wish you can add your own feature requests to the bottom of your posting and I can add them to the "master" list and other people can vote on your requests.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

Here's my vote on the list...
  1. [High] Change from XML data store to embedded SQL database (i.e. SQLite) (High because for many of the structural changes which may be needed to take DVDpedia forward, going to a database back-end sort of becomes inevitable)
  2. [Medium] Fields - add field for movie title in original language
  3. [High] Fields - add multi-entry fields for DVD languages and sound. So, for example, English DD 5.1; English DTS 5.1; French DD 2.0; German DD 2.0 can be entered.
  4. [Medium] Fields - enter multiple region codes
  5. [Low] Fields - make statistics on custom fields optional
  6. [Medium] Fields - more custom fields
  7. [Medium] UI - when cast or crew name mouse clicked quick list comes up showing all movies they have been in and what their role was.
  8. [High] Database - support for boxed sets. DVDs can be added and viewed onscreen as children of a boxed set.
  9. [High] Database - currency code field next to price fields, price fields only accept numbers, currency conversion table (taken from Internet?), total value of DVDs is in 'home' currency code with non-home currency amounts converted.
sallyxi

Post by sallyxi »

Here are my results.

1. [High]Change from XML data store to embedded SQL database (i.e. SQLite)
2. [High]Fields - add field for movie title in original language
3. [High]Fields - add multi-entry fields for DVD languages and sound. So, for example, English DD 5.1; English DTS 5.1; French DD 2.0; German DD 2.0 can be entered.
4. [Low]Fields - enter multiple region codes
5. Medium]Fields - make statistics on custom fields optional
6. [Medium]Fields - more custom fields
7. [High]UI - when cast or crew name mouse clicked quick list comes up showing all movies they have been in and what their role was.
8. [Low]Database - support for boxed sets. DVDs can be added and viewed onscreen as children of a boxed set.
9. [medium]Database - currency code field next to price fields, price fields only accept numbers, currency conversion table (taken from Internet?), total value of DVDs is in 'home' currency code with non-home currency amounts converted.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Here it is mine...with some comments on it
  1. [Medium] Change from XML data store to embedded SQL database (i.e. SQLite)
  2. [I think is already there, check "Original Title" field] Fields - add field for movie title in original language
  3. [I would love this] Fields - add multi-entry fields for DVD languages and sound. So, for example, English DD 5.1; English DTS 5.1; French DD 2.0; German DD 2.0 can be entered.
  4. [Why? A DVD has just one region code, isn't it?] Fields - enter multiple region codes
  5. [Medium] Fields - make statistics on custom fields optional
  6. [Low] Fields - more custom fields
  7. [Low] UI - when cast or crew name mouse clicked quick list comes up showing all movies they have been in and what their role was.
  8. [Actually I did that using Links between movies] Database - support for boxed sets. DVDs can be added and viewed onscreen as children of a boxed set.
  9. [Low] Database - currency code field next to price fields, price fields only accept numbers, currency conversion table (taken from Internet?), total value of DVDs is in 'home' currency code with non-home currency amounts converted.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The original post was done almost a year ago so some of those things on the list have been taken care of already, namely:

Change from XML data store to embedded SQL database (i.e. SQLite), add field for movie title in original language, more custom fields.
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Nanook »

Here are the only ones I care about:

2. [medium] Fields - add field for movie title in original language
3. [low] Fields - add multi-entry fields for DVD languages and sound. So, for example, English DD 5.1; English DTS 5.1; French DD 2.0; German DD 2.0 can be entered.
7. [high] UI - when cast or crew name mouse clicked quick list comes up showing all movies they have been in and what their role was. [ESPECIALLY IN STATISTICS VIEW]
8. [HIGHEST] Database - support for boxed sets. DVDs can be added and viewed onscreen as children of a boxed set.

[ADD] Mutiple genres please!