DVDpedia XML import—Missing fields/Mapping possible?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Bruji4JP

DVDpedia XML import—Missing fields/Mapping possible?

Post by Bruji4JP »

I'm a new Bruji customer. I bought all 4 Pedia apps along with Pocketpedia and have started cataloging my extensive CD collection in CDpedia! I really love the apps so far and am looking forward to using them as my primary cataloging programs for all my media. I will be entering my CDs, books, and games afresh in the Pedias, but my many DVDs and Blu-rays will need migrating from DVD Profiler.

My question for Bruji and the forum involves importing data from DVD Profiler (latest version, 3.7.2 Build 1444) into DVDpedia (5.1.0). I've followed the directions for importing data from third-party apps in the DVDpedia help file, generated an XML file in DVD Profiler (I selected 25 DVDs from my collection as a test before I import everything), and have imported these into DVDpedia.

The issue I am having is with certain fields I would like imported not showing up (and one being mapped to the wrong field; see addendum). I have tried manually finding and replacing the DVD Profiler-generated XML tags with their equivalent field name in DVDpedia (for example, replacing tags <CountryOfOrigin> and </CountryOfOrigin> with <Country> and </Country>), but have not had success upon re-saving and re-importing the updated XML file into DVDpedia. (Through searching past forum posts and Bruji responses I was able to solve some special character formatting issues by re-saving the Windows-encoded XML file using UTF-8 encoding on the Mac with TextWrangler.)

I downloaded a DVD Profiler plug-in called CSV Export and tried exporting the 25 DVDs to a CSV file, then importing that into DVDpedia. I decided this was not as good a solution as XML as there was not as much data imported this way (no credits!), nor were front covers imported (unlike with the XML file). However, importing from CSV popped up a window that enabled me to map each DVD Profiler field to the DVDpedia field of my choice, or choose not to import that field. Is there any way to gain such granular field mapping control in DVDpedia when importing from an XML file (either by editing the file directly or by other means)?

Thanks for your help,
Jason

P.S. I can send the XML file to Bruji via email if needed.

Missing Import Data Addendum
-------------------------------------------
Here are the specific DVD Profiler data fields/XML tags that are not being imported into DVDpedia and the corresponding DVDpedia field names (along with any original custom field names) to which I would like them mapped:

DVD Profiler data field/XML tags--------------------------DVDpedia field (Custom Field)----------------------Example/Notes
- <DistTrait> </DistTrait> --------------------------------> Edition (Custom 7) ---------------------------> Special Collector's Edition, Limited Edition, etc.
- <CountryOfOrigin> </CountryOfOrigin> ------------------->Country -----------------------------------> USA, UK, Spain, etc.
- <MediaTypes> </MediaTypes> --------------------------> Media -------------------------------------> DVD, Blu-ray, etc.
- <FormatLetterBox> </FormatLetterBox> ------------------> Picture Format ------------------------------>16x9, Letterbox, Full Frame, etc.
<FormatPanAndScan> </FormatPanAndScan>
<FormatFullFrame> </FormatFullFrame>
<Format16x9> </Format16x9>
- <CaseType> </CaseType> ------------------------------> Packaging (Custom 5) ----------------------> Keep case, Slip case, Digipak, etc.
- <CaseSlipCover> </CaseSlipCover> ----------------------> Slipcover (Custom Checkbox 1) ---------------> Slipcover? Yes/No; True/False
- <CountAs> </CountAs> --------------------------------> Discs -------------------------------------> # of Discs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.
- <MediaCompany> </MediaCompany> --------------------> Publisher (Custom 1) -----------------------> The Criterion Collection, Paramount, Universal, etc.
- <SRP> </SRP> ----------------------------------------> Price ------------------------------------> Instead of the Price field, the SRP maps to the Paid field if the Paid field is equal to $0.00 :?:
Last edited by Bruji4JP on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia XML import—Missing fields/Mapping possible?

Post by Nora »

Please do email us that XML file so we can check that out here and amend our importer. You'll find our email on the Support page. Thanks!