UPC codes not working in 5.0 DVDpedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
arjayvee

UPC codes not working in 5.0 DVDpedia

Post by arjayvee »

I cannot enter my Blu-Rays nor DVDs in the new 5.0 via their UPC codes --- not manually nor via iSight. Is anyone else having the same problem? This was also happening with CDpedia but that now seems to have righted itself.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: UPC codes not working in 5.0 DVDpedia

Post by Nora »

Which search sites are you using? Could you give me a couple of UPCs that didn't work please so I can check those out here?
djdawson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by djdawson »

I'm having the same problem. I initially had trouble with my iSight camera not working at all (just a black iSight scan window), but after looking at my logs I saw what seemed to be an issue with a 3ivx Quicktime component and deleting that component fixed that problem. Now my iSight is working and the scanned UPC code looks fine, but no results appear. I'm using all the US sites for search except Doghouse, though adding that doesn't make a difference. Doing a title search works fine. The UPC code of the Blu-ray disc in question is 0883929196227, which is "Crazy Stupid Love".

Help!
arjayvee

Post by arjayvee »

My search doesn't even work if I do one via an actual title. Nora, you asked for a UPC example. Here's the Blu-Ray of COP LAND: 031398145707. Thanks much.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@djdawson - Are you signed up for the Amazon search? Most of the sites in the program are content oriented (information about the actual movie) rather than sales oriented (information about the DVD or Blu-Ray) which means they don't necessarily list the UPC or provide a search option for that. That's a gap we're trying to bridge with Doghouse. Doing a keyword search for "Crazy Stupid Love" I found the Blu-Ray edition in Doghouse but with a different UPC. I've added this second UPC from your movie to improve the entry for the future.
Regarding the iSight problem with the QuickTime component - we're aware of the issue and will get in contact with the 3vix developers about this so they can hopefully fix the bug in their plug-in for the future. Good on you to figure out the solution yourself though!

@arjayvee - Title searches aren't working for you at all? What search site do you have selected and if it's the 'All' search, what are the first two sites in your Preferences/Sites list? Cop Land (Blu-Ray) was not in Doghouse yet so I've added that. The regular 'Cop Land' DVD was there but obviously with a different UPC. Searching for it by title worked fine.

We're working on expanding the UPC matches in Doghouse. In the meantime, if you find an entry in the database without a UPC or a different one from yours, please do contribute your UPC back to Doghouse to help it grow. Thanks! (Entries can have several UPCs as well as cover images attached to those.)
arjayvee

Post by arjayvee »

My site preferences are, in order, Doghouse, Freebase, Wikipedia, TMDb, The TVDB, TV Rage, IMDb. I signed up with Amazon and was accepted but it doesn't seem to be on my preferences list. My UPCs are still not working (except for COP LAND which you added to Doghouse) and neither is my iSight (blank, black screen). When I type a Blu-Ray title in manually, I might get 12 different options back with none of them being the Blu-Ray---usually DVD incarnations, U.S. and foreign. I am trying to be patient but the 'pedias were working so well for me until the new 5.0 was introduced.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

If you've already signed up for your account at the AWS page, go back to this page, sign in and get your access and secret key a little further down the page. (Here's a screenshot of what that page looks like.)
Copy paste those two keys into the Amazon Settings window in your DVDpedia Preferences/Sites. If you have an associate ID, copy that into the third field. If you don't have one and don't want to sign up for one, download DVDpedia once more and the field will be filled in with a default Bruji ID automatically.
After that, press the Sign Up button in the Amazon Settings window and the Amazon sites will appear in your Sites list.

As for the iSight that's black - that's a bug in a plug-in from the 3vix developers. We've written to them but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they can fix it for the future. In the meantime, remove the plug-in from your computer and the iSight will appear normal again. You will find the plug-in in: /Library/QuickTime/3ivxVideoCodec.component

Many of the new search sites are content oriented rather than sales driven so they will have information about a certain movie but not necessarily the Blu-ray edition. (That's the bridge we're working on building with Doghouse.)
robnbill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robnbill »

Let me add I am having the same issue - I think since 5 came out. Prior to 5 the UPC codes would generally bring up a hit. The codes are reading correctly - and I have Amazon set up too.

Here's a sample -- BTW searching on Title works fine - I just liked being able to read the code and get a hit.

On DVDPedia 5.0.1.

Thanks - Rob
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Are you using the 'All' search? If so, what's the order of your sites in the Preferences/Sites? I have Doghouse in first place, followed by Amazon US and all three movies were found (The Hangover II, The Debt [Blu-Ray] and The War Boys). The first two on Amazon US and the third on Doghouse.
robnbill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robnbill »

Order:
Doghouse
Amazon US
IMDb

Still no recognition of any of the codes I sent you. And they are being scanned / typed correctly. Typing in the name works.

I must have something set up incorrectly - and thoughts?

Thanks - Rob
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

What happens when you select one of those sites directly, for example Doghouse or Amazon US, from the little magnifying glass in the search window and then search for any of the UPCs? If neither one of the sites work, could you please have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from DVDpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
Also, email me a screenshot of your Search window in case you have different settings that I'm not taking into account here. You'll find our email on the support page. You can take a screenshot by pressing Command-Shift-4 followed by the Space Bar and then mousing over the search window (it'll turn blueish and your cursor will become a camera) and clicking your mouse/trackpad. The screenshot will automatically be saved to your Desktop.
robnbill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robnbill »

This is my error - "operator error" as we used to say. I had selected the search sources in preferences. However, I changed the search selection via the magnifying glass -- I'm sure accidentally -- limiting to one database. Changed it to All -- searches work as they should with the UPC code.

My apologies.

Thanks for your help!!!