can't change images in template

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
chakradude
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

can't change images in template

Post by chakradude »

Hi, I have been working with the "dfmetalbox" template and trying to lighten up the images in Photoshop but I can't seem to get bookpedia to recognize my changes. I saved all the files and put them back in the same images folder that is in the template folder, but no luck. Finally I backed up the images on CD and then took every image by those names off my computer and restarted both bookpedia and firefox. It still shows the original images! I can't imagine what images it might be referencing!?! Perhaps some obscure cashe I would guess but I can't think where.
any Ideas?

Bob
Conor
Top Dog

Re: can't change images in template

Post by Conor »

Hi Bob,

Hit the "edit" button in the HTML export panel with "dfmetalbox" selected. This should create a new file at ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Templates/MydfMetalBox.html". Next to that file should be an images folder with "MydfMetalBoxImages" you should then be change the images in there and use the new "MydfMetalBox" template for export. I mention this method instead of changing the files inside the program directly so that you can update the program in the future without having to worry about your retouched images being replaced, also with a new name for the template there should be no confusion of what Images the program is using.

If you rename the "MydfMetalBox.html" file to a more convenient name for you be sure to rename the images folder as well to match. "MyNameImages".

Bookpedia does not cache the images it always creates a copy of the folder "MydfMetalBoxImages" for the "Images" folder in the export. Watch out for Safari as it caches images, hitting the reload button in Safari should be sufficient to see the changes.
chakradude
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by chakradude »

Thanks conner, I will try it step by step as you suggest and see if it works.
chakradude
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by chakradude »

Connner, I have recently come back to this Idea of using bookpedia for posting books for sale. my problem now is that when I try to put my custom built template (from a few years ago) in to the template folder I cant find it (the template folder) anywhere on the computer! have you radically changed the file structure in the last couple of years?

Conor wrote:Hi Bob,

Hit the "edit" button in the HTML export panel with "dfmetalbox" selected. This should create a new file at ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Templates/MydfMetalBox.html". Next to that file should be an images folder with "MydfMetalBoxImages" you should then be change the images in there and use the new "MydfMetalBox" template for export. I mention this method instead of changing the files inside the program directly so that you can update the program in the future without having to worry about your retouched images being replaced, also with a new name for the template there should be no confusion of what Images the program is using.

If you rename the "MydfMetalBox.html" file to a more convenient name for you be sure to rename the images folder as well to match. "MyNameImages".

Bookpedia does not cache the images it always creates a copy of the folder "MydfMetalBoxImages" for the "Images" folder in the export. Watch out for Safari as it caches images, hitting the reload button in Safari should be sufficient to see the changes.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

If you don't have a Templates folder in Bookpedia, you can create it yourself in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Templates.
chakradude
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by chakradude »

Thanks Nora, I actually found the template folder in ~ user/library/application support/bookpedia. It does occasionally trip me up when software gets installed at my user level, rather than at the root level.

My issue now is with using that template I created. I can now see it when choosing which template to export with. However when I look at it in the thumbnail choosing window it does not appear as a web page like the other choices do. Instead you can see a little thumbnail of the code document. Sure enough when I do export with it, it does not show up correctly as a web page but just displays the code. So I'm guessing there is a code issue here. Unfortunately its been about 2 years since I looked at this and had a friend make the modifications to put a paypal cart on it. Any Ideas where I could start to troubleshoot this? (Probably by renaming this post;)
I am admitedly much more of a designer than a coder!

Thanks for your thoughts...

Bob
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Email us the template and we'll take a look at what might be causing the problem. You'll find our email on the support page.