Update exported HTML sites

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Update exported HTML sites

Post by teacher24_70 »

How do we update a HTML template export that we've uploaded to our website?

Do I have to go through the entire export process again giving it the exact name that I gave it previously?

I'm assuming that this does a complete export of everything, not just the new items. Is this correct?
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Update exported HTML sites

Post by marumari »

As far as I can tell, it always does a full export -- never an incremental export. This can be a bit of an issue when you have very large collections, I agree. That said, there are so many templates and variations that can happen, I think it would be quite difficult for any of the software to detect what is currently exported from the existing HTML files and only export the new stuff.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Maybe there's a way you can export locally and only upload changed content? Of course that won't work if the export changes most/all of that content (instead of exporting identical content with newer modtimes).

With Dropbox, if only modtimes of files are different I'm pretty sure it won't copy the entire files again when synching. And Tools like rsync can update based on differences in content and/or modtimes. Plus many have gotten smart enough to only copy those differences rather than entire files, unlike with older and relatively "dumb" protocols like FTP.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia will update the modification dates of the copied and resized exported image files (by far the largest part of the site) to reflect those of the original images. Allowing the use, as SJK mentioned, of a program that will take modification dates into account when uploading. The included FTP and MobileMe uploads do this if they find a previous export at the same location.

As Marumari mentioned doing this for HTML files is tricky, but I have been thinking about including it for templates that have a details page; where one movie is exported per page with a unique URL then the modification date for that single movie can then be passed to the file. With multiple movies per page and indexes it's another matter as a single new movie or sort order change can shift the entire setup of all the HTML files.